Our Stories

Warm Prairie Wind’s posts about the community of Lake Como

WELCOME TO LAKE COMO'S COLORFUL HISTORY View Warm Prairie Wind's posts about the community of Lake Como. A short account of Como's beginnings and the names of some of the first settlers.

Live Fort Worth Texas, Lady Pearl Johnson and Robert” Mr. Bluebird “Ealey

Lady Pearl / Robert Ealey  -  Live Fort Worth Texas ,Lady Pearl Johnson and Robert" Mr. Bluebird "Ealey laying down some good ole hometown blues, Live at Rayferd's Club off of Riverside, Ft Worth

FORT WORTH AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY

TAKE A SELF GUIDED TOUR OF FORT WORTH AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY

Stevie Ray & Robert Ealey at the Bluebird Lounge

Robert Ealey & His Five Careless Lovers - Live At The New Blue Bird Nite Club Released: 1973 Label: Blue Royal Personnel: Bass – Four String Jack Drums – Barrell House Bucky Guitar – SOB Sammy, Sliding Sumpter Bruton Piano – Good Rocking Ralph Vocals – Robert Ealey Ealey was born in Texarkana, Texas. In his teens he sang in a quartet in his church. Following service in the Army in World War II, Ealey moved to Dallas in 1951, having been singing professionally from the age of 20. In Fort Worth, he formed a duo, the Boogie Chillun Boys, with the guitarist U. P. Wilson. The Boogie Chillun Boys provided inspiration to fellow Texan singer and guitarist Ray Sharpe.[3] The Bluebird Club in Fort Worth was Ealey's musical base for more than thirty years. His involvement was such that he co-owned the club from 1977 to 1989. His 1973 live album, Live at the New Bluebird Nightclub, was billed as by Robert Ealey and the Five Careless Lovers, and included contributions from Mike Buck. It was produced by T-Bone Burnett.

Juke Jumpers / Bluebird Niteclub 1981

Here’s a rare video of the early Juke Jumpers from 1981 live from the legendary Bluebird Niteclub on Horne Street in Como, Ft. Worth, Texas . This film features Sumter Bruton singing "T-Bone Shuffle Blues " with Jim Colegrove (rhythm guitar} Jim Milan {bass} Michael Bartula {drums} Craig Simecheck does some fancy piano playin too !!! Check out Johnny Reno's smokin sax solo !!! This film is courtesy of Sumter Bruton & The Juke Jumpers . special thanks Jim Milan ,Rene Ozuma, Robert Harwell, Mike Buck, Jackie Newhouse, Doyle Bramhall Sr., JJ'S Blues Bar ,Dallas Blues Society, Wes and the city of Ft. Worth. Song #1; Song #2 through Song #8 available on YouTube.

L.E.G.A.C.Y. ‘Como is our birthright’ Fort Worth group uplifts historically Black neighborhood

L.E.G.A.C.Y. - Legacy is committed to protecting and preserving the heritage, community, youth, economic, social, and political growth of Lake Como, TX. Through cleanups and fundraisers, LEGACY community group hopes to instill pride and uplift young Black men at Fort Worth’s Lake Como neighborhood.

The People – 1sq Mile Fort Worth, TX (Lake Como)

This video is a clip from the extended version of the One Square Mile documentary about the Fort Worth neighborhood of Lake Como. Lake Como is located on the west side of Fort Worth, and is surrounded by predominately affluent white neighborhoods. This episode is part of the One Square Mile series, which looks at individual square miles across the United States as a microcosm of contemporary life in America. You can see additional scenes from this episode and other square miles in the series at www.onesquaremile.tv

Historically African-American neighborhood Como in Fort Worth, TX

The Como neighborhood is a historically African-American neighborhood located on the west side of Fort Worth, Texas. Como was named after Como, Italy. One of its most valuable residents was neighborhood activist Viola Pitts. The Como Lake was built in 1889. Originally the neighborhood was conceived as a resort. Originally aired on WFAA Channel 8 on April 11, 2018 video. 

Cowtown Memories

The early days of the cattle industry that gave Fort Worth its enduring nickname, the promotional genius of Amon Carter, the 1936 Frontier Centennial and the birth of Texas Swing are just a few of the topics covered in this nostalgic and historically fascinating special. The program explores how oil, aviation, railroads, commerce, the media, an ethnically and culturally diverse populace — and, of course, cattle — helped to shape a growing city. Through vintage photographs, film clips and the recollections of those who were there, the special weaves a Texas tapestry as colorful as it is complex.

The History of Como

Lake Como’s name is adopted from Como, Italy a resort community located in Northern Italy where there is a natural lake. The lake is “famous for the natural beauty of its setting and the handsome villas on the shoreline.”The History of Como

H.B. Chamberlain and Alfred W. Chamberlain of American land and Investment Company purchased the land now legally known as Arlington Heights first filing and Arlington Heights second filings. The land was to be used for residential “urban development.” In 1889 the owners constructed the lake and dam. The purpose of the lake was for a source of water and electricity. In 1891 the Chamberlains built a pavilion on the lake to attract people to the area to purchase residential lots they had for sale. They named the entertainment structure “Lake Como Pavilion”. They also constructed a hotel called “ Ye Arlington Inn.”

The American land and Investment Company failed in 1893 and Ye Arlington Inn burned in 1894. Lake Como Pavilion was sold and remained as a popular entertainment source that attracted the wealthy for recreation and relaxation. Lake Como Pavilion burned in 1916.

During the years the pavilion and hotel were in operation several affluent families settled in Arlington Heights first filing on the east side of Lake Como and the area known as Rivercrest. The occupants employed African-Americans as maids, butlers, chauffeurs, cooks, and various domestic services. The servants resided in other areas of Fort Worth but some resided on less desirable property located on the west side of the lake, legally described as Arlington Heights second filing. By 1907 enough citizens resided on the west side of the lake to warrant the establishment of a store and a water hauling service.

The History of Como

Water was pumped from the lake into barrels and hauled to residents. Water was pumped directly to the homes of residents who lived on the east side of the lake. The area was tagged Lake Como to differentiate it from the affluent Arlington Heights first filing.

Lake Como was annexed to the city of Fort Worth in 1992.

Some prominent families who lived and owned property on the north side of the lake were the Lawrences, Haws, Boldridges, Kincannons, Sanguinettes, and Overmeyers. On the south side or the Como side, on the land where the James P. (Patrick) Wicks’ home is located today, there lived a Mr. Lloyd and his family.

Currently

Como is 1 square mile of businesses, organizations, schools, and churches. Moreover, Como has a myriad of organizations that thrive to help others overcome challenges as well as grow and preserve the community. The Lake Como Community has organizations such as Lake Como Neighborhood Advisory Council, Como Alumni Club Inc., Lake Como Citizens on Patrol. Como also has other active organizations in the Lake Como Community such as Legacy, Lake Como Interdenominational Ministerial Alliance, and Open Doors. The Pride of Como is the newly built Como Community Center which is the staple of the community because for decades was a haven for teaching, learning, and growth for everyone in the community.

Recipients of The Lake Como Pioneer Awards 

In September 1999, an effort was begun by members of Lake Como Planning Committee to show recognition for the many contributions and achievements by individuals and groups toward the development and preservation of Lake Como Community. To honor recognized groups and/or individual, the committee decides on the presentation of a Pioneer Award

The Pioneer Award Presentations have resulted in an effort to erect a monument in memory of “pioneers” to help preserve Lake Como and the Legacy of their contributions.

  • George and Mira Campbell
  • Ensured Eugene Crosier Nursery remained operational from 1940 to Present
  • Reverend George Washington Burton
  • Pastor of Zion Missionary Baptist Church, the oldest Church in the Lake Como Community. Reverend Burton was referred to as the “Father of Lake Como Community”
  • William Howard ‘Doc” Wilburn Sr.
  • Publisher of Como Weekly Newspaper & Fort Worth Weekly News Papers.
  • Ed “POP” Landers, Shirlie Sanders and W.D. Wyrick
  • Initiated the activities for Como Day Parade by performing on their horse. Started the first chartered Horse riding club in Texas by Afro-Americans, “Circle-L-5 Riding Club”.
  • Erma Grant
  • Employed as a school teacher who went above and beyond to ensure your education. Erma Grant was one of the first teachers at Como High School when it opened in 1956.
  • Conway Haley
  • Wilba Burton Alaman
  • Wilma Lightner– Philpot
  • Honored Pioneers continued ………
  • Mrs. Sopora Hicks
  • Ms. Viola Pitts

History of Como Fort Worth

The History of Como