In 1982, the City Council of Fort Worth approved a revised Citywide Citizen Participation Plan which delineated the mechanisms and procedures for the conduct of continuing citizen participation in all aspects of the use of Community Development Block Grant Funds and other federal, state, and local funds. The City of Fort Worth has formally involved citizens in community issues, however, there were requirements for involving citizens in the decision-making process. In response to those requirements, the Neighborhood Advisory Councils (NAC) were established.
How we serve Our Community
Lake Como’s name is adopted from Como, Italy a resort community located in Northern Italy where there is a natural lake. The lake is “famous for the natural beauty of its setting and the handsome villas on the shoreline.”
H.B. Chamberlain and Alfred W. Chamberlain of American land and Investment Company purchased the land now legally known as Arlington Heights first filing and Arlington Heights second filings. The land was to be used for residential “urban development.” In 1889 the owners constructed the lake and dam. The purpose of the lake was for a source of water and electricity. In 1891 the Chamberlains built a pavilion on the lake to attract people to the area to purchase residential lots they had for sale. They named the entertainment structure “Lake Como Pavilion”. They also constructed a hotel called “ Ye Arlington Inn.”
The American land and Investment Company failed in 1893 and Ye Arlington Inn burned in 1894. Lake Como Pavilion was sold and remained as a popular entertainment source that attracted the wealthy for recreation and relaxation. Lake Como Pavilion burned in 1916.
During the years the pavilion and hotel were in operation several affluent families settled in Arlington Heights first filing on the east side of Lake Como and the area known as Rivercrest. The occupants employed African-Americans as maids, butlers, chauffeurs, cooks, and various domestic services. The servants resided in other areas of Fort Worth but some resided on less desirable property located on the west side of the lake, legally described as Arlington Heights second filing. By 1907 enough citizens resided on the west side of the lake to warrant the establishment of a store and a water hauling service.
Water was pumped from the lake into barrels and hauled to residents. Water was pumped directly to the homes of residents who lived on the east side of the lake. The area was tagged Lake Como to differentiate it from the affluent Arlington Heights first filing.
Lake Como was annexed to the city of Fort Worth in 1992.
Some prominent families who lived and owned property on the north side of the lake were the Lawrences, Haws, Boldridges, Kincannons, Sanguinettes, and Overmeyers. On the south side or the Como side, on the land where the James P. (Patrick) Wicks’ home is located today, there lived a Mr. Lloyd and his family.
Como is 1 square mile of businesses, organizations, schools, and churches. Moreover, Como has a myriad of organizations that thrive to help others overcome challenges as well as grow and preserve the community. The Lake Como Community has organizations such as Lake Como Neighborhood Advisory Council, Como Alumni Club Inc., Lake Como Citizens on Patrol. Como also has other active organizations in the Lake Como Community such as Legacy, Lake Como Interdenominational Ministerial Alliance, and Open Doors. The Pride of Como is the newly built Como Community Center which is the staple of the community because for decades was a haven for teaching, learning, and growth for everyone in the community.