Lake Como’s name is adopted from Como, Italy a resort community located in Northern Italy where there is a natural lake. The lake is “famous for the natural beauty of its setting and the handsome villas on the shoreline.”
H.B. Chamberlain and Alfred W. Chamberlain of American land and Investment Company purchased the land now legally known as Arlington Heights first filing and Arlington Heights second filings. The land was to be used for residential “urban development.” In 1889 the owners constructed the lake and dam. The purpose of the lake was for a source of water and electricity. In 1891 the Chamberlains built a pavilion on the lake to attract people to the area to purchase residential lots they had for sale. They named the entertainment structure “Lake Como Pavilion”. They also constructed a hotel called “ Ye Arlington Inn.”
The American land and Investment Company failed in 1893 and Ye Arlington Inn burned in 1894. Lake Como Pavilion was sold and remained as a popular entertainment source that attracted the wealthy for recreation and relaxation. Lake Como Pavilion burned in 1916.
During the years the pavilion and hotel were in operation several affluent families settled in Arlington Heights first filing on the east side of Lake Como and the area known as Rivercrest. The occupants employed African-Americans as maids, butlers, chauffeurs, cooks, and various domestic services. The servants resided in other areas of Fort Worth but some resided on less desirable property located on the west side of the lake, legally described as Arlington Heights second filing. By 1907 enough citizens resided on the west side of the lake to warrant the establishment of a store and a water hauling service.
Water was pumped from the lake into barrels and hauled to residents. Water was pumped directly to the homes of residents who lived on the east side of the lake. The area was tagged Lake Como to differentiate it from the affluent Arlington Heights first filing.
Lake Como was annexed to the city of Fort Worth in 1992.
Some prominent families who lived and owned property on the north side of the lake were the Lawrences, Haws, Boldridges, Kincannons, Sanguinettes, and Overmeyers. On the south side or the Como side, on the land where the James P. (Patrick) Wicks’ home is located today, there lived a Mr. Lloyd and his family.
Como is 1 square mile of businesses, organizations, schools, and churches. Moreover, Como has a myriad of organizations that thrive to help others overcome challenges as well as grow and preserve the community. The Lake Como Community has organizations such as Lake Como Neighborhood Advisory Council, Como Alumni Club Inc., Lake Como Citizens on Patrol. Como also has other active organizations in the Lake Como Community such as Legacy, Lake Como Interdenominational Ministerial Alliance, and Open Doors. The Pride of Como is the newly built Como Community Center which is the staple of the community because for decades was a haven for teaching, learning, and growth for everyone in the community.
Recipients of The Lake Como Pioneer Awards
In September 1999, an effort was begun by members of Lake Como Planning Committee to show recognition for the many contributions and achievements by individuals and groups toward the development and preservation of Lake Como Community. To honor recognized groups and/or individual, the committee decides on the presentation of a Pioneer Award
The Pioneer Award Presentations have resulted in an effort to erect a monument in memory of “pioneers” to help preserve Lake Como and the Legacy of their contributions.
- George and Mira Campbell
- Ensured Eugene Crosier Nursery remained operational from 1940 to Present
- Reverend George Washington Burton
- Pastor of Zion Missionary Baptist Church, the oldest Church in the Lake Como Community. Reverend Burton was referred to as the “Father of Lake Como Community”
- William Howard ‘Doc” Wilburn Sr.
- Publisher of Como Weekly Newspaper & Fort Worth Weekly News Papers.
- Ed “POP” Landers, Shirlie Sanders and W.D. Wyrick
- Initiated the activities for Como Day Parade by performing on their horse. Started the first chartered Horse riding club in Texas by Afro-Americans, “Circle-L-5 Riding Club”.
- Erma Grant
- Employed as a school teacher who went above and beyond to ensure your education. Erma Grant was one of the first teachers at Como High School when it opened in 1956.
- Conway Haley
- Wilba Burton Alaman
- Wilma Lightner– Philpot
- Honored Pioneers continued ………
- Mrs. Sopora Hicks
- Ms. Viola Pitts